Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Day 127 - Supported Running Joe

I played sports in high school but was never a runner.  I didn't really start running until 2002 and since then have done around 50+ races ranging from 5ks to 3 full marathons.  I enjoy the quietness of it and just being alone with my thoughts.  I am definitely not a fast runner but I do enjoy it and what a great stress reliever for me.  I also admire those who can run marathon after marathon, race after race and train year round.  One of those individuals is Running Joe.  Joe is on a mission to raise awareness about our nation's obesity epidemic and to be an example of health and perseverance.

Joseph Lee Ortiz a.k.a. Running Joe is a veteran of the United States Navy.  Due to the physical toll of active duty, as well as a car accident, Joe suffered from hip and back pain that "took control of his life."  In 2010, Joe decided to make a change and began running, which surprisingly left him with little to no pain.  When he saw the benefits that running had on his well-being and health, he decided he would make a habit of it.

He has run 4 ultra marathons, 16 marathons, in 6 different states, 11 Half Marathons, and countless other runs ranging from 5k to 15k setting personal records in each race over the last couple years.  In the Summer of 2014 or 2015 Joe and his fellow Veteran Shawn will set forth on one of the greatest adventures of a lifetime by running from Deadhorse, Alaska to Key West, Florida in what they have coined "The Great North American Adventure" to raise funds for the Wounded Warrior Project and another foundation yet to be determined.  

So for today's random act of kindness I left some encouraging words on Joe's Facebook page and I am also purchasing one of his wristbands to support The Wounded Warrior project.  Good luck Joe!  I will be following you along your journey. 

Words from Joe:

“The only thing stopping you from achieving your goals; is what looks back at you in the mirror every day. The only limitations you truly have are the ones you place on yourself. Live without limits, and aim big!”


Day 127 - Supported Running Joe


No comments:

Post a Comment